Question: How do you create 40 pieces of 6″ x 6″ embroidery in 60 minutes?
Answer: 40 embroiderers and Speed Stitching !!!
- Three tables of Stitchers;
- A piece of 6″ calico per person;
- A tin of scrap fabrics and a box of threads on each table;
- Every 20 minutes the fabrics and threads rotate onto the next table;
- All work is collected at the end of the 60 minutes.
The aim is that all Stitchers in the room have access to all the colours and textures on offer and have very little time to think about their design – they just grab fabric and thread and sew! – oh, and no-one is allowed to take work home! – this creates the incentive to sew as fast as possible. Raw edges and experimental embroidery are welcomed (and don’t forget your 1/2″ seam allowance all around the calico).
This is how my design evolved. It’s surprising how much sewing you can acheive in an hour and how much chatting you can do too!
These final stitched squares are to be pieced with this green linen to create a table cloth for an Embroiderers’ Guild event later in this year.
It was a brilliant group activity. We had a room full of very happy, chatting embroiderers.